Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

When you start asking questions most people are afraid to broach even in their own minds, you often end up with more questions than when you started. Which is probably why most people are afraid of asking these kinds of questions. Because most of us hate unanswered questions. We want certainty in our lives ... it makes us uncomfortable to not have ready answers to things we feel are important.

Then there's those questions that we'd rather not ask ourselves because we secretly know the answer, and we don't like that answer. We're afraid of what that answer would mean. Sometimes that answer means we need to do something we'd rather not do. So we think it's better to just not ask the question.

I must admit I'm more willing to ask the first kind of question than the second kind. But the problem with those first kinds of question is they tend to lead us down "rabbit holes." Like Alice in Wonderland, you see something strange, your curiosity compels you to follow it, and what you find out makes you start questioning everything in your environment ... so now you find yourself literally surrounded by strangeness. This is a very uncomfortable position to be in, for most people. I won't exclude myself from that category, though since I struggle with Attention Deficit Disorder, I'm probably more used to handling the unexpected than most. I'm just not on my guard when it comes to holes. And I've always been impulsively curious.



Asking oneself about what really happened on Sept. 11 2001 can be the entry point to a very deep rabbit hole. [It also has aspects of the type of question I mention in the second paragraph, which makes it doubly hard for people to chew on.] How deep does the rabbit hole go? I don't know, I'm still exploring it, but I can tell you this much ... it goes beyond the 3 dimensions of space we deal with on an everyday basis.

I don't really know where I'm going with this post, or why I'm even posting it. It's just that ... I know I'm not alone concerning this issue, and for those who are struggling with it, I want to let you know that there's at least one person out there that knows how you feel.

No comments: